|September 11, 2010 marks the 2nd annual 9/11 National Day of Service & Remembrance. Greater DC Cares will support this effort by creating the opportunity for more than 5,500 volunteers in the region to engage in service between Friday, September 10th and Saturday, September 11th. Participants will clean parks, revitalize playgrounds, sort food for the hungry, and much more! Individuals and organizations who answer the call to action will recognize that together we can honor a national day of sorrow with service. Friday, September 10th will be an opportunity for students and some of our corporate partners to engage in service, and Saturday, September 11th will be for the vast majority of our volunteers, including all community volunteers.
Project selection will begin in early August, so expect an email from us around then letting you know it's time to pick your project site.
We also hope you'll consider raising needed funds for GDCC programs and services. Funds raised help us provide more than 80,000 hours of volunteer service throughout the year. It’s not mandatory but we sure would appreciate your help!
If each volunteer raises $100, we can:
• Implement 1,000 volunteer projects throughout the region;
• Help provide 36,000 meals to people who are homeless or living with HIV/AIDS and other illnesses;
• Provide free tools to more than 200 local nonprofits through our tool “lending library” so they can upgrade their facilities;
• Connect skilled volunteers — professionals in areas like technology, fundraising and marketing — to hundreds of nonprofits to help build their capacity;
• Paint 3,000 classrooms in local public schools;
• And so much more!
If you have questions, drop us an email at email@example.com, or give us a call at (202)777-4447.
See you for the 9/11 National Day of Service & Remembrance!